The Internet has over several billion websites running in different business and service domains. If stats are believed, thousands of new website domains are added to the internet every hour. The domain age of a website running on the web is crucial as it can provide useful insights into its authority. If you know the age of a domain, you can easily evaluate its brand value. Based on the domain age, you can align your SEO strategies and marketing efforts.
What is a Domain age checker?
A domain age checker is a tool that lets website owners and digital marketers ascertain the age of a particular domain or website. The domain age of a website indicates the length of time a website has been registered and active on the internet. Though the domain age of a website isn’t a direct ranking signal, Search engines consider this while ranking a website. Search engines, especially, Google considers the domain age of a website to determine its value and authority.
How Does a Domain Age Checker Work?
The tool is very useful in finding a domain’s age. To find how old a particular domain is, domain age checkers scan through the domain registration date, the date the domain was last updated, and the date it was last crawled by search engines.
Here is the step-by-step process to determine a website’s domain age:
- A user enters a domain name into the tool
- The tool then sends a request to a domain registrar database to pull the domain registration date.
- The tool runs a scan to check the WHOIS records to confirm the registration date and the date the domain was last updated
- The tool takes the help of Wayback Machine to find out the date when the website was first created.
- The tool then runs the final calculation and determines the domain age by subtracting the registration date from the current date.
Different Types of Domain Age Checker Tools
You can take the help of several domain age checker tools available online. These tools provide important insights and information about a domain's registration date, last update date, and search engine crawling history. Let’s have a look.
WHOIS Lookup Tools
With the WHOIS Lookup tools, you can get detailed information about a domain’s registration date, expiration date, and more. These tools can help you at scale if you want to know more about a domain name's age and history.
Domain Archive Tools
Domain archive tools run a scan through historical archives of websites to determine how those websites looked and functioned in the past. The tool provides a comprehensive insight into how a website has evolved through time.
Search Engine Crawler Tools
With the help of crawler tools, you can determine when the search engine last crawled a particular website. This data can update you about how frequently this website is being updated with new content.
Dedicated Domain Age Checker Tools
Dedicated domain age checkers can also tell you enough about the domain age. These tools pull important details from WHOIS records, domain archives, and search engine crawlers. By aggregating the information, these tools can offer users a complete picture of a domain's age and history.
Step-by-Step Guide to Using a Domain Age Checker:
Checking the domain age of a website is a straightforward process. Here is how you can do this:
- Open your web browser and open your preferred domain age checker website.
- Now enter the domain name that you want to check in the search bar. Input the right website URL. Make sure to use https:// prefix.
- Click on the "Check Domain Age" button. (Different tools might offer different options on the website to choose).
- After a few seconds of processing, the tool retrieves the information about the domain age.
Some domain checkers also show some additional information other than domain age, such as the domain creation date, the domain expiry date, and the registrar details. As you have the data at your disposal, you can analyze this data to gain insights into the domain's history and authority.
Mistakes to Avoid When Using a Domain Age Checker
While using the domain age checkers, there are certain mistakes that you need to avoid to ensure complete accuracy of the results.
- Do understand that domain age refers to the age of the domain name registration. The age doesn’t necessarily mean the age of the website
- Don’t entirely rely on domain age to establish the website's credibility. Other website elements such as website content, design, and user experience are equally important for building the brand value.
- These tools don’t tell about the expiry date of the domain in question. A domain’s expiration date is important to ascertain as it tells about the website's availability in the future.
- Analyzing a domain’s history is equally important. Right from the date it was registered, a domain may have been associated with spammy or blacklisted activities in the past.
Benefits of Using a Domain Age Checker
Tactically using a domain age checker offers a multitude of benefits. Some of the benefits are listed below:
Determining domain age and domain history
The first and foremost benefit of the tool is that it precisely tells about the exact age of a domain name. These tools also offer insights into the past owners of a domain name and any previous use of the domain.
Assessing domain authority
Domain age is significant to search rankings. Google’s ranking algorithm considers domain authority an important ranking signal.
Protecting against fraud
By using domain checkers, you can actively detect the domains that are relatively new and potentially fraudulent.
Domain age checker tools are crucial when it comes to analyzing the domain age ad its history. Moreover, the tool can also provide valuable insights and history about the domain. It helps website owners and digital marketers to make more informed decisions about their online presence.
Tarun Gupta, CEO of Brainpulse Technologies, is a prolific author and digital marketing specialist. His insightful writings span SEO, content marketing, social media strategy, and email campaigns, offering invaluable expertise to businesses worldwide. Tarun’s contributions continue to shape the digital marketing landscape, guiding success in multiple niches.