If vulnerabilities are spotted during the process, web hosting experts should correct the operating system before hosting it live on the Web server. It’s also suggested that one should install minimum possible operating system configuration to reduce the resource overhead.
Web server protection is a comprehensive process that involves wrapping up stringent security standards across the underlying operating systems, Web server application, and the running network. Since every web server works on a general-purpose operating system, web hosting services administrators can avert security constraints just by configuring web servers in most appropriate manner possible.
Every organization procures hardware and software from different vendors and these vendors are hardly aware about the organization’s security needs in particular. Administrators therefore configure new servers in strict accordance with the organization’s security requirements.
- Basic Operating System security and Maintenance:
- To protect operating systems against threats and vulnerabilities, a number of user manuals are widely available in the hosting domain. These security documents involve recommendations and suggestions for various settings that improve the level of security against OS threats.
- Security during configuration and installation:
- Once an operating system is installed, administrators should deploy required patches and upgrades to correct the snags and vulnerabilities. If vulnerabilities are spotted during the process, web hosting services experts should correct the operating system before hosting it live on the Web server. This phase accommodates several steps. Server professionals create, document, and implement a patching process to identify bugs and Trojans.
- Removal of Obsolete Services:
- To intensify the security mechanism across the web servers specially operating systems, administrators should disable or remove all those services and applications that are not required by web server. It’s also suggested that one should install minimum possible operating system configuration to reduce the resource overhead. Hackers find ways to intrude in the web server through unused applications, thus it is always recommended not to install unnecessary applications on server.
- Operating System User Authentication:
- To secure operating system, web hosting services experts authorize a limited number of users who sustain the authority to configure the operating system. Service level authentication should be implemented by configuring certain parts of the operating system, firmware, and applications on the server. Various organizations also use authentication hardware tools like tokens or password devices to control the security mechanism.
Strengthen the authentication process is also mandatory to make operating system and secure. Authentication usually imposes control on access mechanisms like biometrics, smart cards and client/server certificates. Organizations that employ user authentication modules to secure operating systems also change organizational policies accordingly. In more advanced manner, server administrators also use user-friendly server authentication with encryption to prevent growing spoofing attacks. Implementing these guidelines and recommendations prevent numerous kind of attacks and unidentified intrusions.
Tarun Gupta, CEO of Brainpulse Technologies, is a prolific author and digital marketing specialist. His insightful writings span SEO, content marketing, social media strategy, and email campaigns, offering invaluable expertise to businesses worldwide. Tarun’s contributions continue to shape the digital marketing landscape, guiding success in multiple niches.