Your website is the first thing that defines your presence in the cyber world. Having an SEO friendly website should be the primary concern to get noticed in search engines. Almost all the components of a website should be optimized in order to enhance the search engine rankings of the website.
While designing a website for your business, optimized website information architecture not only helps you to attain smooth information flow but also assists in proficient spidering by search engines. An SEO friendly information structure throws an opportunity to let you decide that how the flow of web page(s), section of the site or entire domain would be categorized to influence indexing and ranking.
Information Architecture [IA] in brief
Information architecture extends the way in which information environment is combined together. An IA explains about the page organization, labeling, search and prominently the navigation system within the website. In wider terms, shaping the information in responsive, customized and search friendly manner is the basic strategy of information architecture process. Below described are the website components that should be optimized while designing a SEO friendly website.
From an architectural point of view, domains are the most important assets and critically a major factor from marketing angle. Some of the probable concerns should be addressed before eyeing on a domain for architectural perspective.
- Semantic Value of the domain:
- A domain that contains primary keyword is very good thing to keep but not necessarily. It’s believed that the keyword in the domain name attracts more relevance. Apart being keyword centric, domain should be short and easy to be shared easily. Prevent to have too many dashes in the domain to escape spamming mess.
- Canonicalization Factor :
- Search engines are now getting more and more concerned about the duplication of contents so during design a website, specify a clear preference between the canonicals in your Webmaster Tools console.
- Crawling mistakes :
- Keep a close eye on the crawling errors with Google webmaster tools and export the results for further analysis. Periodical crawling of your site with available tools helps you to observe the link integrity within your site.
- Domain registration:
- Domain registration from registrars for relatively a longer period, adds more value to your website
Optimized Sections and categories
Sections and categories propose various entry points for the contents to be pushed in the website to allow comprehensive and effective crawling mechanism. These sections and categories increase ranking power of the domain and captures bulk of its potential traffic.
- Semantic Structure:
- In landing or internal pages a good semantic markup is must for the crawling and indexing of the pages. The pages should be constructed according to the W3C compliance. Make sure that the page has optimized title tags, descriptive Meta descriptions and relevant header tags.
- Google prefers the concept of meta data to constitute contextual ads in AdSense and even yahoo is also considering the same for the search algorithm.
- Contents are still the king for any website. Ensure that the contents wrapping your website are best, natural and of high quality. If possible and complements the flow, use keyword modifiers in the document.
is head of search marketing division Brainpulse. He covers core search marketing topics that matter the most for online businesses. With over 10 years of his experience in the vertical, he successfully manages marketing strategies for clients.