Email Marketing is evolving as the most efficient and cost effective marketing tool. Companies across the global sphere are putting their best efforts to reap maximum profits out of their investment. Interestingly, most of the organizations, if not all, don't have a plan in place to measure ROI. Even the latest benchmark report asserts that 59% of marketers answered “no” when asked if they have a proper plan to measure their email marketing ROI.
Defining EMail Marketing Goals Leads To Strategy:
Organizations should stand clear of their email marketing goals. They must know where their email-marketing results stand today, and if improvements are required to improvise existing email marketing campaigns. Measuring the status of running email campaigns isn't hard. All you need to asses if the goals set are achieved. Like you, most of the marketers define certain goals to achieve at the end of an email-marketing campaign. They may be to:
- Generate more qualified leads
- Boost online sales revenue
- Double the downloads of a specific white paper
- Increase the number of webinar participants
- Drive more visitors to the company website
- Add new subscribers to email newsletter
These are the standard goals that I have seen companies played for. Obviously, these are the vague goals, thus, should be defined more precisely to zoom out the key matrices. For instance, looking for more qualified leads could be a generalized goal, instead, you may set the eye at 15% up in qualified leads. You may likewise replace other goals stated above with a precise one.
What Are The Key Drivers of Email Marketing That Decide ROI?
From scheduling a campaign to its delivery to the end user, email-marketing ROI depends upon number of factors. The following diagram depicts the funnel with the factors deciding ROI in an order:
- List Quality Of Prospects:
- Open Rates:
- Click Through Rates:
- Conversion Rates:
The list you choose to begin your email marketing campaign decides the fate of your campaign. The quality and authenticity of that list determines new subscribers and minimize attrition caused by inactivity, bounces, unsubscribes, and spam complaints. List quality has direct impact on your ROI.
The metric defines the number of total recipients who opened an email at least once. Once email campaign is sent, people open your mail and read the message. Believe it or not, open rates are directly proportional to the returns on the investment.
The click-through rate is the percentage of subscribers who click on a call-to-action and ended up on your landing page. Once recipients receive the mail, they open and engage into it further if content is good and they want to reach to the landing page for further information.
The landing page conversion rate is measured by taking into the note the percentage of subscribers who take desired call to action on your designated landing page. Conversion tends to be the final goal of an email marketing campaign. Conversion could be anything like white paper download, purchase, subscription or filling out a form.
How To Leverage The Sales Funnel?
So, how come you can optimize your email marketing funnel for maximum returns on investment. Here are the steps that might help you:
- Keep a permission based, high quality e-mail list:
- Have an opt-in process for your list. Ask your audience to subscribe your list, and tell them to confirm this from their email. This is called double opt-in.
- If you opt for Email data mining techniques, ensure the method is tested and organized for manual and automated processes.
- Don't add pre-checked boxes with subscription form as they can be deemed a forced attempt to subscribe
- Include an unsubscribe option to allow people leave your subscription whenever they want
- Remove bad email addresses and bounces from your email list.
- Find the people who haven't opened your email since long. Send them engaging mails and offers to get them back to your list.
- Use social media , ppc, direct mailing to grow your list.
- Plan methods to maintain subscriber interest list and reduce list attrition
- Optimize Your Email Open Rates:
- Write engaging, factual and concise subject that binds the audience. Make sure that message is relevant to your subscribers.
- 'From' field is also very important to your email newsletter. You must pick a value for the field that resonates with your subscriber base.
- Fix schedule and frequency of the mails. It isn't good to bombard your audience with messages. Annoyed audience may throw your mails to trash. .
- Choose the best time of the day to send the email. You can have the idea by analyzing previous campaigns and the way audience reacted.
- Go for a responsive email newsletter, to let your email open equally well regardless of the devices being used. Deliver the content with the newsletter that interests your subscribers.
Among other key steps required to achieve high ROI, having a high-quality permission based list is the pertinent one. Your campaign success very much depends upon the quality and authenticity of the list being used in the campaign. To ensure a list healthy and growing, you put your list through Email validation techniques. Here are the ways you can do it:
More the people open your email, more will be the engagement and conversion. See the points below, how can you do this:
How To Drive Click Through Rates?
Eventually, click-through rates of an email determine the success of the email campaign. Until you secure a strong click-through rate, your conversion prospects will suffer. There are ways that help digital marketing firms improve their campaign click-through rates:
- Keep checking your offers for the best value. Run A/B split testing to determine what really resonates with your audience.
- Ensure that the mailer contains enough information so your subscribers understand your offering and how it gives value to your audience.
- Place call-to-action buttons adequately inside the mailer. Test the placements of your call-to-action as per your goals.
- Avoid cluttering email newsletter with too many call-to-action buttons.
- It's always a great idea to have a mobile-friendly version of your emails to let users access it easily on their mobile devices.
How To Increase Conversion Rate?
At the end of the funnel, comes the conversion metric that tells if the results achieved are one that you wanted. If you are selling products or offering services, high conversion rate is something you desperately require. There are ways you can raise the conversion opportunities of your email marketing campaign.
- Have a clear call-to-action button, bigger one is the better one. It should be big enough so that audience couldn't miss it.
- Make sure you have a dedicated landing page that a person reach to when he clicks to a call-to-action button.
- Navigating people to your website home page is always a bad idea. The reason being is that once he lands up to your website he would need to explore the required information.
- Keep your landing-pages consistent and at par to the brand message you're delivering via the email campaign.
- Building trust on the landing page is also inevitable to the conversion. To get this done, include certifications, awards, and testimonials on it from satisfied customers.
- Test as many versions of the landing page possible. It helps to continually optimize your landing page for better conversion.
- Other variables that impact your overall email campaign are subject line, day and time of day sent, offers, design elements, optimize them as well as per
The above illustration makes it clear that several factors throughout an email-marketing campaign are responsible for revenue. They are namely List size, List growth, Inactive users, Growth of inactive users, Open rates, Click-through rates and Conversion rates. This was the funnel that we chose to make realistic improvements to key email campaign variables, that helped us to optimize email-marketing funnel of most of our prestigious clients.