Ever since Google's Penguin algorithm happened a few years back, it left SEOs with no option but to alter their strategies. Eventually, the Penguin update transformed the search engine industry and buried away easy going and con search engine ranking techniques. As black hat started losing due to harsh penalties from the Google, black hat masters coined Negative SEO to win the game.
The article explains in the detail what is Negative SEO, How it works and How one can prevent his website(s) from its drastic impact. If you're in the brand building process, this article is a must read:
What Is Negative SEO?
As name states, Negative SEO is a con technique, precisely a black hat technique, adopted by some SEOs to sabotage a competitorâ€™s rankings in search engines. Technically, Negative SEO can attack websites in following forms:
- Website hacking
- Building spammy links pointing to your website
- Copying your content and spamming it all over the internet
- Pointing links to your website using prohibited keywords
- Creating and promoting fake social profiles and maligning your online reputation
- Removing your website's best backlinks
Negative SEO Is A Real Threat:
Let me raise you a question.
Can you afford to see your website lose rankings just because a bunch of black hat people performed negative SEO on it? You'll answer in negative. It does hurt even if your website gets penalized for a week or a month. Dipping rankings means declining visitor influx and dwindling revenue forecast.
Fortunately, there are ways to tackle this menace and keep your business safe. Here we go :
1. Set up Google Webmaster Tools Email Alerts:
If you haven't yet set up email alerts in Google Search Console, formerly known as Google Webmasters Tools, do it now. It will send you instant alerts when:
- A malware attacks your website
- Your pages are not indexed
- You have server connectivity problems
- You get a manual penalty from Google